Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Vegan Marshmallows

I found this recipe at fatfree.com. It was posted by Lisa Bennet, who said the marshmallows are not as fluffy as commercial marshmallows but have all of the flavour. I'll have to make some this week, but probably not until Friday.....unless the treats I'm making for Thursday somehow don't work out.....

Marshmallows Makes about 1 3/4 lbs.

Put in the mixing bowl and let stand 1 hour:

3 tablespoons kosher veg gelatin (this is 3 packets of Emes)
1/2 cup water

In about 1/2 hour, begin to prepare a syrup. Place in a heavy pan over low
heat and stir until dissolved:

2 cups sugar (I used unbleached)
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt

When the mixture start to boil, cover it about 3 minutes to allow any crystals which have formed to be washed down from the sides of the pan.Be careful, though, not to let the mixture boil over.
Continue to cook uncovered and unstirred over high heat to the firm-ball stage (244 degrees F). Overcooking makes the marshmallows tough. Remove the mixture from heat and pour slowly over the gelatin, beating constantly with an electric mixer. Continue to beat about 15 minutes after all the syrup has been added. While beating, when the mixture is thick but still smooth, add:

2 tablespoons vanilla extract.

Put the mixture into an 8 x 12 in pan that has been lightly dusted with cornstarch. Dust the top with cornstarch and set aside. When it has dried for 12 hours, remove it from the pan, cut it into square with scissors dusted with cornstach, and store the fully dusted pieces in a closed tin.

One change that I plan to make is that I will be dusting the pan with a mixture of cornstarch and icing sugar. I will also roll the cut edges in this mixture when the marshmallows are ready. I've also read that it's easier to cut the marshmallows with lightly oiled scissors, so I'll probably try this as well as the cornstarch-dusted method. I'll post which is easier!

No comments: