Friday, November 16, 2007

Pelmini/flour recipe

We had pierogies for lunch, and it occurred to me- once we start gluten-free, no more pierogies! In a panic, I googled a gf recipe for them, and this is what I found(bonus for getting the flour-mix recipe also!!!):

I like the basic recipe of 3 C Brown Rice flour, 1 C Potato Starch, 1/2 C Tapioca Starch and 2 tsp. Xanthan Gum. Sift together 3 times to get the xanthan gum evenly distributed. I use this for just about everything. (Sometimes I add more xanthan gum, like for Pelmini, or use a bit of bean flour, like for pizza crust.) I mix up 3-4 batches of this flour and store it in a gallon container in the refrigerator, then use it cup for cup for all-purpose flour. It's way cheaper than buying bags of pre-mixed flours.

Here's my recipe for Pelmini dough. Pelmini are the Russian equivilant of Pierogi.

1-1/4 C Brown Rice Flour
1/2 C Potato Starch
1/4 C Tapioca Flour
generous 2-1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1 Tbs. oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2+ C Water

Sift dry ingredients 3 times. Add oil and water. You will probably need to add a little more water, but do it slowly. Stir until dough forms a ball. Make sure it is not dry! It should be smooth and almost creamy. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out on board dusted with Tapioca flour.

No comments: