Thursday, January 3, 2008

Pizza Crust (recipe by me!)

I usually make a yeast-based pizza crust, but sometimes I get carried away and forget to start the dough. When this happens, I've substituted with biscuit dough or even (gasp!) bought a pre-made crust. My favourite crust substitute is a batter bread recipe. It's slightly sweet, which I think plays well with pizza sauce, and I feel that it's a healthy choice due to the whole wheat flour and wheat germ. I often use whole wheat flour or add wheat germ to recipes, but they taste so good in this recipe!

2c flour
1 1/2c whole wheat flour
1/2c wheat germ
3Tbsp sugar
1 1/2tsp baking soda
1 1/2tsp salt
2c water plus 2tsp vinegar
1/4c oil

Mix all of the dry ingredients together and then make a well in the center. Mix wet ingredients, and then pour into the well. Stir until just moistened.
If you want a loaf, then pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350F for 1 hour.
If it's pizza you're after, then divide your batter between two greased 12" pizza pans. Bake at 350F for 10mins, then remove from oven and add your pizza sauce and toppings. Place back in the oven for about 15mins.

No comments: