Wednesday, January 23, 2008

GF Oreos

Today I came across a recipe for gluten free peppermint brownies at Baking Love. They look delicious, but I was hit by the thought- we don't have a Trader Joe's! Where can I find gf Oreos? Apparently I could order them online, but I'm not that interested. It's hard enough to get the deliveries that we already have on the way. I don't need to be stuck in the house for any more time!
I did what anyone would do. I searched the internet and found a recipe to make my own oreo-esque cookies. It was posted on recipe zaar, which is a site I have had a lot of success with in the past. It's great to see reviews and comments from other people who have tried a posted recipe.
I may not bother to make them into brownies after, but the cookie recipe seems simple enough and got some great reviews. I love finding that someone else has the answer to my problems!

Gluten Free Oreo Cookies
by GlutenFreeGirl

45 servings 45 filled cookies
30 min 20 min prep

Dough
3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons egg substitute
2/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 teaspoon milk

Filling

2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons shortening
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, egg replacer, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of the mixer, cream the margarine and sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. (Note: I don't have a heavy duty mixer, so I used a hand held one and I did have a little trouble with the dough sticking to the beaters. So don't be discouraged if you have to keep pushing the dough off the beaters with a spatula, you aren't doing anything wrong. And don't worry I promise these cookies are well worth the trouble!).
Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions. If the dough becomes too stiff, add the milk as needed.
Shape the dough into two 10"x1-1/2" rolls. Wrap in foil and chill.Chill for about 15-20 minutes.
Cut into 1/8" slices, if you have a cookie stamp, you can at this point press in onto the sliced cookies before baking. Bake these cookies on an UNGREASED cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
Let cool for only a few minutes before removing from the cookie sheet. Cool thoroughly on a rack.
For the filling, combine confectioners' sugar, shortening, vanilla and hot water ( use enough to create a good spreading texture.).

Note: I would like to mention here that the above GlutenFreeGirl does not seem to be the same as Gluten-Free Girl (Shauna James Ahern), author of the same titled book....which looks great, btw.

2 comments:

Penelope said...

I bow to your ingenuity! I'm pretty sure that Superstore here sells them in their organics section. I'll have to check next time I'm in....

Amber said...

lol! Not sure that it's ingenious- more 'desperate'! Let me know if you find them. Maybe they'll have them at a sister store here.