Thursday, December 6, 2007

Ashleigh's Brown Bread

I know that a lot of people refer to whole wheat bread as brown bread, but where I'm from that's not the case. When I say brown bread, I'm talking about a loaf made with oatmeal and molasses. I got this recipe from my sil, but I'm not sure where it originated. I've made it with all whole wheat flour, with a mix of whole wheat and white, or just with white. My favorite version is the complete whole wheat. It's a pretty dense loaf this way, but it still raises well and has a wonderful flavour.
Some people are afraid to make their own bread. I know that I was the first time! It's not that hard, and you can get a lot accomplished around the house while you wait for it to raise twice and then bake. (Or you can spend some quality time on the computer!)

Mix:

2c rolled oats
1c molasses
1/4c oil
4tsp salt (I only use 2tsp)

Cover with 3c boiling water, stir well, then allow to cool to room temperature.

Once cool, mix in a different bowl:

2Tbsp yeast
1c lukewarm water
1Tbsp sugar/honey

Allow yeast to work for about 10 minutes, then stir mixture and add to the oat mixture.

From 7 cups of flour, add enough flour to make a manageable dough. Put a cup or so of your flour onto the counter, and pour your dough onto it. Knead for 10 min, adding more of your flour when dough becomes sticky.
Set dough in a greased bowl, turning once to coat, then cover with a damp teatowel. Allow to raise until double, about an hour. It will raise more quickly in a warm room.
Punch down dough, then form into four loaves. Place in greased loaf pans, and allow to raise (covered) until doubled.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Allow to cool and then enjoy! Or slice it warm and let the butter melt in to your slice, and really enjoy....

No comments: