Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Carmel Corn

I finally remembered to buy popcorn! Of course, when I got to the store, they didn't have any out on the shelves, but I kept it together. I nicely asked someone who worked there if they could check out back for me. I even remained calm when the guy tried to tell me that what I really wanted was microwave popcorn. Since I don't own a microwave, this seemed silly to me, but he didn't seem to know that 'old fashioned' folk use a popper and kernels.
I finally got the popcorn! I brought it home. I searched high and low. I realised that I had misplaced my cookbook that contains the carmel corn recipe.(It also has my favorite gingerbread cookie recipe, but that's another story!)
This morning I googled caramel corn, and although the recipes are varied, this one seems to be the closest to mine. (Of course I haven't made it this year, and my memory can be sketchy at time.) So, I'll be trying it out today. I don't know if it's a good idea though, since it seems as though I'm not supposed to make carmel corn this year!

Ingredients:
1 cup Butter
2 cups Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Cornsyrup
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla
6 quarts Popped Popcorn

Directions:

Melt butter; stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, the boil without stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in soda and vanilla. Gradually pour over corn, mix well. Turn into two large, shallow baking pans. Bake at 250 degrees F for 1 hour, stir every 15 minutes.

Remove from oven, cool completly. Break apart and store in tightly covered containers.

No comments: